I love creamy grits for dinner and for breakfast. My mother is from the south so I feel like grits run in my blood even though she doesn't make them. I have finally got my husband on board with liking them as well with my creamy garlic sharp cheddar grits recipe.
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 cups ground grits
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of half-and-half
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onion tops (to top the grits)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a large sauce pan or dutch oven.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook for five to seven minutes or until they become to begin soft.
- Add grits and stir.
- Add in chicken broth and water. Stir.
- Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes and stir occasionally.
- After 30 minutes add in the half-and-half. Cook for another 30 minutes until grits are tender.
- Turn heat up and stir consistently for five to ten minutes depending on how thick you want your grits.
- Remove from heat and add in grated cheese. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate and add the green onion tops.
I served my grits with steamed shrimp. I wish I had an amazing steamed shrimp recipe but I just use the recipe from the Old Bay seasoning box (1/2 cup water, 1/2 vinegar, a couple of tablespoons of Old Bay). It's the best recipe I have found.
Facebook. Twitter. Pinterest. Instagram.